<%@LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%> Scottish Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament
Return to home

Home

SCND Shop

Contacts
 
Join the Scottish CND now...
Back to Main Menu
Contents
Map
Orkney and Shetland
Highlands and Islands
North East
West Central and South West
South East
Appendixes
 
 

48. Cultybraggan, Perthshire. (NN 768 200)

Cultybraggan Camp, near Comrie, was established during the Second World War as a POW camp for high-level German prisoners. The POW buildings are still standing, but today the camp is regularly used as a training centre for a number of groups, including the Territorial Army and the Cadets. The 8-acre camp can house 600 people whilst the dry training and live firing field ranges are south of the camp, near Tighnablair. The 12,000 acres training area is leased from Drummond Estates and a multitude of activities take place, including helicopter operations, cross country driving and adventurous training. According to the Army Training Estate Cultybraggan Camp hosts over 80,000 man training days annually.

In the late 1980s it was decided that a new Regional Headquarters for Scotland to replace the site at Anstruther would be built at Cultybraggan. However, by the time the facility was completed in 1990, the Cold War had ended and the base was deemed surplus to requirements. It was then sold to the Army. The base would have been the modern Regional Government Headquarters for Scotland in the event of major conflict, and would have housed the Secretary of State for Scotland, as well as the BBC, BT and other important organisations. Pictures and further information about the Cultybraggan site can be found at the Subterranea Britannica website at www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/sites/c/cultybraggan

 

    Copyright © SCND 2004. All rights reserved.
site template provided by walrus and carpenter