31. St. Kilda (Hirta). (NF 0999)
Above, photographs of the QinetiQ facility on St. Kilda.
The Ministry of Defence site on Hirta was established in 1957 as
a radar tracking station for the missile range on South Uist. The
site is now operated by QinetiQ for the MoD, and is staffed by civilian
workers. Although the last remaining inhabitants of Hirta were evacuated
in the 1930s, the QinetiQ station is manned throughout the year.
St. Kilda was designated a World Heritage Site in 1986, and visitors
to the island are limited to about 2,500 a year. To learn more about
the island visit www.kilda.org.uk. The MoD recently renewed their
lease at St. Kilda and are due to pay the owners of the island,
Scottish Natural Heritage, £100,000 a year for the next 25